Thursday, March 22, 2012

Manila & Taal Volcano




This week Paul announced to me he could begin regular consulting work on a project in the Phillipenes as early as next month. He has traveled there seven times since last July, taking the red-eyes home and continuing to work on Fridays. Usually there is no time for sight seeing or travel, but on his last visit I encouraged him to get out, if only to allow me a more vicarious lifestyle. As someone who has been such a source of inspiration for me to get out and see the world, the last thing I want to hear is that he doesn't have time for adventure.


There is a famous volcano near Manila called Taal volcano.  It's one of the easier day trips from Manila, and one of the only places in the world where you can see a lake in a volcanic island in the middle of a lake.  These shots of Manila and the volcano are from his camera phone. He described Manila similarly to Sao Paulo, large, sprawling, crowded, and not a desirable place to raise a family. 20 million people would probably say otherwise, but perhaps I wouldn't put it down as my first crowded city to visit. Hong Kong, Singapore, and Tokyo are all densely populated and are still on my travel list. It makes me wonder, what makes one city more desirable than another? Wealth? Climate? or simply personal preference? Having called so many different places home I am beginning to think the actual city is irrelevant to happiness.


No comments:

Post a Comment