Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Bare Island, Botany Bay National Park





We had a dual purpose weekend outing today: to explore a new part of town and pick up Ana's birthday desk. I was pleased to find the perfect one for $50 on Ebay, a vintage 1950's solid wood retro style and sized kids desk with a world map on the top. It was calling our name! We drove down to Chifley to pick it up and decided to stop at Bare Island. We made a previous visit to Captain Cook's landing spot on the other side of Botany Bay and found it rather hum-drum. Bare Island was a much much better choice. It offered a nice boardwalk bridge, cliff walks around Bare island, a small museum, playground, sandy and shallow Frenchmans beach, and an ideal spot for snorkeling or scuba diving. If only I had brought my gear!

There really was something for everyone at Botany Bay National park. The kids loved the playground. I enjoyed reading exhibits in the Laperouse museum, including the aboriginal map of Australia above. Paul enjoyed scaling the ocean cliffs around bare island. I would have stayed longer if there wasn't a Purdue game to catch back home after lunch. Nolan could see cargo ships and airplanes coming and going from the airport and shipyard nearby. Hopefully this is my last post using my four year old sony ericsson and pixelated photos.



One hour later...


No comments:

Post a Comment